Custom Search

Friday, February 27, 2009

WHEN THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP MANNY PACQUIAO WAS STILL LOOKING FOR A MANAGER

It was April of year 2000, When i arrived from almost a year of stay in the states. I was looking for probable business to augment my deteriorating income in the Real Estate Business after we were badly hit by the Asian Crisis.

My LOVE of the sport BOXING brought me back to the small LM Gym in Paquita St. Sampaloc, Manila, Where i used to be there everyday to watch the training of my boxers from 1990 to 1993. I used to have nine boxers in my stable, training at LM GYM. I was able to developed a light weight Champion in two year time from the day i started managing The "Cadorna Boxing Stable".

One afternoon i visited the LM Gym, and i was looking for the former Trainer of my boxers Mr. Ben Delgado who happens to be my Trainer as an Amature boxer when i was still in Davao City way back 1975 at Davao Boxing Gym in Quirino Ave., Davao City. This Gym was own by Mr. Vic Quiambao.


In a few minutes some of the boxers in LM Gym Called up Manong Ben as i used to call him. He was so glad and so exited to see me again in the Gym! We shook hands and we had a cup of coffee in the canteen and started convincing me to Manage boxers again.
I was a bit cool and relaxed, but what i noticed in his eyes was his interest of working with me again. He whispered to me, I HAVE A GIFT TO YOU! I SAID, WHAT is it? He said, a boxer who is looking for a MANAGER. I ask him, what's his weight division? and he answered He is a mini-fly weight! He is a ten rounder already, he told me. I did not even ask the name yet, I just ask him, can i see him? In few minutes he introduce me a very young slim guy. I said ok, and the boxer went back inside the Gym silently. I commented to Manong Ben that I'm not interested to manage boxers again. Ben told me, Just get this boxer Peter, only one and I'll take care of him. I slowly ask Manong Ben, What's his (the Boxer) name? And he replied, His name is Manny Pacquiao from (Gensan)General Santos City, a City in Minadanao. I commented to Manong Ben, He's too thin for a boxer! I don't have trust in his built!

I did not even give a chance to talk to Manny Pacquiao because i was more interested in talking to Manong Ben. We haven't talked for more than a year. Few months later, Manny Pacquiao was manage by Mr. Polding Corea. This the first Manager of Manny Pacquiao in Manila. In a a year time Manny became a Flyweight World Champion. During the early year of training in Manila, it was Ben Delgado who handle Manny Pacquiao until he fought the World Super Bantam Weight IBF Championship against the Champion Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in the states where he knocked out Lebwaba in the 6th rd., Manong Ben was still with Manny during that fight where they met Freddie Roach. If you watch that fight in youtube you can see Manong Ben At the Corner of Manny together with Freddie Roach. That was Manny Pacquiao's turning point! That was the last time i saw Manong Ben in the fights of Manny Pacquiao. It was Freddie Roach head the training Camp and Boboy Fernandez.

I think, it was his way of thanking me of what i have done good to him in the past.
When i was about to close my Boxing Stable, Ben Delgado got blend! and it was his two eyes! When i saw him with his son Allan and his wife in the appartment i rented for him and the boxers, Ben could really not see. The wife was there who came from Davao City, handed to me Durian fruit since Davao City is famous for Durian. Without Ben asking for help, idecided to sent him to MCU Hospital in Caloocan City for the operation of his two eyes. Manong Ben is like a father to me. After the operation he was able to see again. After that I was out of Country for almost a year until we met again at LM GYM where he introduced Manny to me.

During Manny's fight with Oscar "Tiololo" Larios, a former world champion Mexican fighter in Araneta Collesium, Manny and his entourage checked in at Manila Hotel. Since it was near to my Real Estate Office in Ermita Manila, When i was connected with Moldex Realty, I decided to take my breakfast at Manila hotel in the Hope of talking to Manny Pacquiao so i can offer him some Real Estate Investment. But when i arrived at Manila Hotel, Manny Pacquiao was resting already at his room so with Gerry Pinalosa on the other room. I was able to talk first to Dodie Boy Pinalosa, the elder brother of Gerry and the former World Flyweight Champion also and in a while i was able to talked to Freddie Roach. I introduced myself, i handed it to him my Business Card.

We chat for few minutes, I mentioned about Manong Ben, and Freddie responded that he remember Manong Ben. He told me that, that was the last time he saw Ben Delgado during the first fight of Manny Pacquiao in the States. Since then, he haven't seen Ben Delgado anymore. This was also the first time Ben entered United states of America, and I was so glad seeing him in that fight. From there onward, i haven't seen Ben Delgado anymore...


While watching every fights and the success of the People's Champ Manny Pacquiao, I could not imagine the income he garnered from fights including the income of his Manager and the Trainers! At the start i regret of not giving the chance to manage Manny Pacquiao, But later on, I also realized that he is not for me. On the other hand I told my friends, Manny is Blessed! Jokingly I told them also, He might not be that successful as he is now, if I was the one managing him! HE! He! He!

After his 2nd fight with Eric Morales if I'm mistaken, Manny visited the LM Gym in Paquita St. in Sampaloc Manila with only One Companion, No body Guard at all. It happened that i was also there chatting with some Boxing Trainers who were my friends also. I was about to congratulate him for his Successful fight, But i could not afford to get closer to Manny, I was so Ashamed with him due to what had happen.

Until now, October 13, 2010, as I am editing this blog, I haven't talked to Manny, I don't even think if Manny could Remember me.

The morale of the lesson is READ NOT A BOOK BY IT'S COVER ALONE! SUCCESS IS A LONG PROCESS THAT YOU HAVE TO WENT THROUGH...THERE'S NO SUCH OVERNIGHT SUCCESS!

Thanks for your time, See you on my next posts, there are more interesting information about boxing management in the Philippines!

Peter E. Cadorna
Author
Blog Directory & Search engine

7 comments:

4lifePlatinumTower said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ArmyM said...

Peter just spoke with Ben this morning and he remembers you so well. I mentioned this blog to him. If you would like to get in touch with him I can put you two back together. Ben still in Manny's camp and he is getting ready himself to stqrt a stable of boxers here in the Los angeles area. Have a great day and as Ben always says God Bless. I can be reached at www.agelesstrength.com
or email army@agelesstrength.com

thanks for the thought ful article ,army

Anonymous said...

Cool story you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is some photos of any gadgets.

David Karver
jammer products

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to read more on this blog soon. By the way, pretty nice design you have at that blog, but what do you think about changing it every few months?

Anonymous said...

Hello! I meet Manong Ben last night. I was introduced by my coach Rod Sequenan. I never heard of Manong Ben n was so when I sat spoke with him. He is a very outgoing gentleman n told me to google him so I did. I really enjoyed this article. I would be ashamed too of ur rejection of Pacquiao but it's a wonderful learning experience for us readers. I appreciate u n respect u so much for sharing this story with me!

Anonymous said...

Peter, good to have spoken to you at the O'Meara household for Christmas 2012, just a few short weeks after Manny's devastating loss to Marquez. Enjoyed hearing your account of almost being Manny's manager. Certainly would have been a life changing experience, and maybe it already has been. - Conor

Peter Cadorna said...

The devastating loss of Manny to Marquez at the last 10 seconds for their fight, And considering Manny was trying to finish Marquez because Marquez at that very moment was also ready to go down! I would say that knocked out can happen to any boxer inside the ring.

I would still would like to see one more fight for Manny and Marquez!